Wednesday 31 October 2012

Strategy Before Tactics




Coca-Cola Sees Red
I try to make good eating choices. Along with making healthy food selections, comes the benefit of lower calorie choices. This isn’t always the case, but healthy eating habits often mean less caloric intake. However, there is one unhealthy choice that I partake in, although in limited quantities. I sometimes drink diet soda. I know that the best option would be to avoid soda entirely, but I subscribe to the Pareto Principal, also known as the 80-20 rule. Eighty percent of the time I make healthy choices and twenty percent of the time I might eat or drink something to tickle my palate, even if it does keep those extra ten pounds on my body! But I refuse to consume ridiculous amounts of calories by drinking high sugar content soda. Instead, I choose to drink diet soda.


My friends also fall into the 80-20 rule: eighty percent of them have dietary habits similar to mine, and twenty percent choose to eat whatever they feel like eating. It’s interesting to note that my ‘twenty percent’ group of friends are very quick to criticize me when they see me drinking my diet drink, while they gulp down large regular sodas, along with fries, donuts and other items on my ‘never-ever-eat’ list. They are convinced I will die of brain cancer, due to the aspartame ‘poison’ in the soda.  I do make a point of limiting my aspartame intake to very small amounts – not the large amounts given to rats in experiments. I’ve done my research...I know what I’m doing.
 
Those in the diet-soda-is-okay school of thought verses the diet-soda-will-kill-you school of thought can be quite adamant about their opinions. It was into this tangled web that Coca-Cola met a PR disaster last Christmas.
 
Coca-Cola is a company which has obviously had a lot of PR experience, both positive and negative. One of their most successful re-branding efforts included using the polar bear as their advertising mascot, introduced very successfully into the North American market in 1993.
 
However, one of their biggest campaign disasters was the 1985 Coke formula-change, known as "New Coke". You would think they would’ve learned from this. Before deciding upon a strategy and going forth with a new plan, every campaign must build a strong foundation of research, understanding their stakeholders, having their objectives and goals in place along with their key messages. Coca-Cola knows this, yet they failed again just a year ago.

 
In October of 2011, Coca-Cola introduced a new colour into their Holiday cans of Coke. Instead of the traditional red cans, they brought out white cans. Their intentions were good. They wanted to use this colour change in a new campaign called "Arctic Home" that would bring donations and awareness to the efforts expended by WWF (World Wildlife Fund) to protect the polar bears’ habitat. Perhaps Coca-Cola spent all of their research on people’s perceptions about the polar bears' plight and how their public would react to the idea of supporting WWF. Their research, objectives, strategy and key messages regarding this part of the campaign were probably very well-done. However, they didn’t think deep enough and go far enough with their assessment.

 
Coca-Cola was reminded how fickle their public can be. Yes, their public was glad the WWF was going to help save the polar bears. But, Coca-Cola confused a big part of their public when they changed the can colours from red to white. Going with white cans meant that the diet drinkers’ silver cans were quite similar in colour. Remember the opinionated crowds that either wanted to drink only diet soda, or only non-diet soda? Well, horrors! Diet drinkers were buying the white cans instead of the silver cans and getting real-sugar cola, along with all those extra calories! No wonder we, the diet-drinking-public, gained all that weight over Christmas last year! Others avoided the white cans because they assumed they were diet drinks. Many people felt that “abandoning red was blasphemy.”  [1]
“Some consumers complained that it looked confusingly similar to Diet Coke’s silver cans. Others felt that regular Coke tasted different in the white cans. Still others argued that messing with red bordered on sacrilege.” [2]


                                                         http://teachthe4ps.com/coke.jpg

We can only assume that Coca-Cola did not take enough time to research and survey their publics regarding the actual can-colour change. Even though the drink was not altered in any way; even though the beloved polar bear icon was not only promoting the drink, but was being helped by the sales of it; the entire campaign was a big flop. A great overall idea met failure because a small detail was not researched thoroughly enough. This is a great lesson and case study for us as PR students. Let’s remember this and hopefully we can avoid ever making this kind of PR strategy error.
 

 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed my "Coca Cola Sees Red" title didn't show up the cool Coca-Cola font I had used, after all. The font looks really great on my personal computer, but it doesn't look like it actually shows up on the blog post itself. Disappointed the look is different than I intended, but at least the rest of it is there.

      Delete